2019 Redesign Notes
This page will be updated after each blog post
I Have Learnt:
- I need to make what I build adaptive. Do not assume one type of content will be utilised more than another because that is what I do right now.
- The design is not doing the heavy lifting I require from it.
- While I have the overall trajectory in the right direction, the website needs fine tuning in all areas.
- I am happy in general with the technical way the static website works.
- I need to re-examine the technology it is built upon, Eleventy looks to be the favoured platform to switch.
- Build time needs to be reduced it is creeping up and taking too long.
- I have some custom areas of my Jekyll build that need to be documented and ascertained if I can get feature parity by it’s replacement.
- The static site model on Netlify is working well
- Github as my singular code source is the right choice
- Flow on effects from Mastr Cntrl can cause all sorts of consequences (see below)
- The architecture I built organically isn’t bad for a first attempt.
- Heroku feels like it could be an unnecessary complication.
- Can Lambda functions replace Mastr Cntrl or key functions?
- Can I reduce 3 ecosystems?
- Do a deep dive on the UX.
- Look in to the user interface design at a later date, once I understand requirements better.
- I have yet to review where Mastr Cntrl is not meeting my requirements.
- I have not looked at the overall architecture and this needs reviewing.
- Explore Eleventy and build a POC to demonstrate I can migrate successfully.
- Revisit the design and UX of the current site. Explore this in detail to design a system that works for my needs.
- Investigate improving the quality of my RSS feeds and general syndication content.
- Investigate Avatar loading, caching and progressive loading techniques.
- Minimise external load content such as Mapbox images and Avatars.
- Set some time to review my Netlify integration and set-up. How can this be improved?
- Set some time to review future integrations and what I will be accommodating.
- Automate syndicating to IndieNews.
- Explore the possibility of Lambda functions instead of Mastr Cntrl.
- Explore the possibility of splitting Mastr Cntrl in to discreet modules with Mastr Cntrl acting as the gatekeeper.
- Add testing coverage to Mastr Cntrl
- Investigate the recurring issues
Diagrams and Data
|Input Source||Input Type||Input Format||Output Type||Output Format||Output Destination||Intended Audience||Purpose||Importance|
|Telegraph||Webmention||JSON||Webmention||JSON||Website||All||Share With Community||2|
|Brid.gy||Webmention||JSON||Webmention||JSON||Website||All||Share With Community||2|
|Quill||Micropub||JSON||Note||Markdown||Website||All||Share With Community||2|
|Quill||Micropub||JSON||Bookmark||Markdown||Website||All||Share With Community||2|
|Quill||Micropub||JSON||RSVP||Markdown||Website||All||Share With Community||2|
|Quill||Micropub||JSON||Like||Markdown||Website||All||Share With Community||2|
|Quill||Image||JSON||Image||JPG||Website||All||Share With Community||2|
|Quill||Micropub||JSON||Syndication||XML||Zapier||All||Share With Community||2|
|Quill||Micropub||JSON||Webmention||JSON||Telegraph||All||Share With Community||2|
|Direct||Post Creation||Markdown||Post||HTML||Website||All||Share With Community||1|
|Direct||Post Creation||Markdown||Webmention||JSON||Telegraph||All||Share With Community||1|
|Direct||Post Creation||Markdown||Syndication||XML||Zapier||All||Share With Community||1|